Free Consultations

  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Family Law
  4.  → Unmarried Parents Rights

Protecting The Rights Of Unmarried Parents In Connecticut

Whether married or not, parents have rights. An experienced attorney can help you address disputes over child support, child custody, and visitation rights. At The O’Neil Law Firm in Hartford, we protect the rights of unmarried parents throughout Central Connecticut.

Protecting both unmarried fathers and unmarried mothers, we will help you come up with a parenting plan that works for you and is in the best interest of your children. Contact The O’Neil Law Firm to schedule a free initial consultation.

Many people believe that they must be married to have parental rights, but in Connecticut, there is no disadvantage to parents who are unmarried. Whether you want fair support orders or a plan that maximizes your parenting time, we will help you come up with a plan in the best interest of your children.

Representation For Unmarried Parents

We help unmarried parents with a number of concerns, from paternity actions to custody disputes. We make sure our clients have the information needed to make informed decisions about support, custody or parenting time orders. Whether you seek to establish an original order or modify or enforce an existing order, we can will represent you in matters involving:

  • Paternity: Whether you are seeking to establish or refute paternity, we can help you request accurate DNA tests. If paternity is established, we will make sure you come up with a plan that works.
  • Child custody: We will help you seek physical and legal custody, or adequate visitation rights. Our goal is to help you reach an expedient resolution that fits the needs and expectations of your family.
  • Child support: Whether you want to establish, modify or enforce support, we can help you as you seek fair support orders that abide by state guidelines. Handling all financial determinations, we also manage contempt actions and actions to avoid future contempt.

We also represent grandparents and relatives in third-party visitation matters.


Sometimes a change of circumstances creates a need for a modification to your child support or custody plan. We help clients seek or contest requests for modification for their current orders. We also handle relocation requests in cases when the current plan is not in the best interest of the children.

Contact Us

We are open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Contact us today for a free initial consultation to learn more about your parental rights.