Want to modify a court order after divorce? You may be able to

On Behalf of | Mar 26, 2020 | Child Custody |

Certain factors that are involved in your divorce may be modified after your divorce is finalized, depending on your reasoning for wanting to do so. The things that may be able to be modified include:

  • Alimony
  • Child custody
  • Visitation
  • Child support

To modify child support, alimony or child custody agreements, you’ll need to show that there have been substantial changes in your circumstances. For example, if you’re offered a fantastic job in another city, you may want to adjust your custody arrangements to allow your child to come and to go to a better school. This is something that you and your ex-spouse should discuss, but if you cannot come up with an agreement, it is possible to go to court to have a judge decide.

If you and your ex-spouse can agree on the changes, how can you adjust custody or other factors?

If you both agree on the changes, you may be able to have your attorneys draw up a document for the court requesting the modification and submit the requested modification. In this kind of situation, you’ll still have the risk of a judge rejecting your request, but it is less likely since you and your ex-spouse agree.

Post-divorce modifications aren’t always easy to agree on, but they are sometimes necessary. Our website has more information on what you can do if you want to modify child custody, visitation time, child support or alimony after you’ve been divorced. With good support, you’ll be able to make a request for those modifications and support the request with evidence that your situation, or your ex-spouse’s situation, has changed significantly.


FindLaw Network