These 3 factors could significantly affect child custody during your divorce

On Behalf of | Feb 1, 2021 | Child Custody |

When you’re going through a divorce, it’s important that you take steps to make your children comfortable. Unfortunately, there will come a time when you have to make choices regarding their custody.

If you and the other parent can’t decide on a custody schedule or parenting plan, then it may end up that you have to go to court to have a judge decide on a custody arrangement for you. If that happens, many factors will be involved in the judge’s decision.

Among those factors are the following three, which you should be prepared to discuss at your hearing.

  1. Your usual involvement with your children

One of the first things a judge will want to know about is how involved you are in your children’s lives. Do you know their friends, their teachers, their medical needs and other important facts about them? If you aren’t playing a major role in their life now, then a judge may not rule to give you as much time in the future.

  1. What your child wants

Sometimes, depending on your child’s age, what they want will have some influence as well. There is no particular age that gives your child the right to choose where to live, but if your child is mature enough to make their preference known, then a judge will listen to what they have to say. Each of your children could say something different, which would impact the final custody arrangements.

  1. Your relationship with the other parent

Finally, your relationship with the other parent will have an impact. If you have a contentious relationship and they are causing fights, then a judge may not give them as much custody. If you’re being rude or aggressive, you may lose some of the time you want. Be on your best behavior, because how you act can play a role in your custody arrangements, too.

These are three of the factors that a judge may consider if you have to go to court over your custody arrangements. To have more say in the schedule, you should attempt to negotiate outside court.


FindLaw Network