How is child support enforced?

by | May 27, 2016 | Child Support, Firm News |

If you are behind on your child support payments, you may wonder what actions the court may take against you. One thing that the court will not do is take away your right to visit your child.

The court can, however, file a contempt of court action. If you find yourself facing this type of action due to unpaid child support, you should consider seeking advice from an experienced family law attorney. At The O’Neil Law Firm, P.C., we provide strong representation for clients who are struggling with contempt of court actions. With more than 26 years of experience, Patricia O’Neil is knowledgeable and skilled and can help guide your case through the court system.

Contempt of court actions can result in wage garnishment for unpaid child support and incarceration is also a possibility. We work diligently to understand your situation and find a solution that is in your best interests. In some case, it may be possible to file for a modification of child support, especially if you have been subjected to a job loss or other loss of income. This can give the judge some options when it comes to ruling on your case.

Child support is important, as it helps the receiving parent cover the costs associated with raising your child. However, there are a number of factors that are considered when the award for child support is made. If your child’s other parent has filed a motion for a modification of child support that is not something you want, we can help you show the court why it would create a financial hardship.

To learn more about child support, please visit our many webpages on the topic.


FindLaw Network