What forms are required for a high-asset divorce with kids?

by | Aug 31, 2017 | Firm News, High Asset Divorce |

As you likely already know, divorcing with kids is not as straightforward as divorcing without them. This is so in both high-asset divorces and in divorces with few assets. If you plan to forego attorney representation and do the work yourself, you will face an array of forms to file — more of them than you would have to file when divorcing without children.

Like other states, Connecticut courts have placed a focus on the protection and care of children during divorce. Some of the required forms deal with children’s issues and are in place to assist parents in meeting their child’s best needs. You can find a list of all required divorce forms on government websites, but for your convenience, here are some the forms required if you have children.

  • Form JD-FM-158, Notice of Automatic Court Orders
  • Form JD-FM-164, Affidavit Concerning Children
  • Form JD-FM-163, Case Management Agreement/Order
  • Form JDP-FM-151, List of Approved Programs for Mandatory Parenting Education Program
  • Form JD-FM-149, Parenting Education Program Order, Certificate and Results
  • Form CCSG -1, Child Support Guideline Worksheet
  • Form JD-FM-71, Advisement of Rights

Before you decide to represent yourself in a high-asset divorce, you should understand that such divorces often come with added complications that can have a negative impact on your divorce decree if handled improperly. These can include accurate asset and business valuation, complex asset division, self-employment and child custody and support to name just a few.

While you may still choose to forego legal counsel in your high-asset divorce, an experienced attorney can help you achieve an outcome that best meets the needs of you and your children.

Source: State of Connecticut Judicial Branch, “Filing for a Divorce with Children,” accessed Aug. 31, 2017


FindLaw Network