Ensure your child support keeps up with supporting your child

On Behalf of | Nov 20, 2019 | Child Support |

Life can change quickly, and it may be hard for your child support arrangement to keep up. But if it was ordered by the courts, you’ll probably need to prove to them that it’s time for a change.

Around half of the 13.6 million custodial parents in the country have a support agreement in place. It’s not likely that every one of those deals meets the exact needs of the parents, and your accord may leave you wanting as well. While Connecticut could allow you to request a change to your agreement, you’ll likely have to prove a substantial change in circumstances.

Qualifying situations

No two cases are bound to be the same, but there are some common instances where the courts will grant you an audience:

  • Different footing: If there are changes in your ability to pay support or you don’t think the amount is where it should be, then you’ll likely have to take it up with the court. Even if someone sees a dramatic change in income, your children change houses or the cost of raising your children goes up, you’ll need to go before a judge to get things amended.
  • Flawed calculation: Connecticut usually sticks by a mathematical formula to decide child support guidelines, but you may be able to seek a review if you think the numbers are too far off. Anything that is more than 15% out of order will likely get a second look.
  • Secondary support: If you’re looking at paying for your children to go through college, you may be able to get some help. Your ex could be on the hook for sharing the price tag of continuing education at a university or technical school in the pursuit of a degree.

Understanding what can warrant modifications to your child support is an essential step to getting the help you need. Raising children comes with quite the price tag, so make sure their other parent is pitching in their fair share.


FindLaw Network